måndag 14 januari 2013

Week 15: Interior study: The wool exchange

This week's entry is a interior study from Bradford's old wool exchange, seen from the café that now inhabits the upper level.

This piece was made in 1 hour and in the use of a graphite stick. The angle I chose to work from shows the great depth that this building has and that the pattern of the structure; the pillars, the square roof details.

My main target here was to capture the feeling of the space and the perspective. The architecture is full of exciting details, details which is easy to linger on. There was more sections of pillars in sight from the place I was drawing from, but if I was to capture all of them at the level of detail this piece have I would have needed the double amount of time. Since the architecture is repetitive I only did two sections of it. At the back the end wall of the wool exchange is visible and it is a good ending of the pattern.

There are two points of perspective in this piece, one quite obvious which is the one that leads the eye deeper into the drawing. The other point of perspective is the one that is going along with the wall at the end. This perspective is quite parallel, but not entirely. But from where I was drawing this scene it appears linear and I therefore made it easy for me and made it linear.

Overall I am quite happy with this piece. I would have loved to have paid more attentions to the beautiful period details of the building, but there simply wasn't enough time (or patience) to do so. 

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar